Ideathons are opportunities that shape your perspective in ways that, sometimes, a classroom can’t. Here are 3 soft skills you can leverage on your Resumé/LinkedIn at no cost when you’re done with the 2019 IBM Ideathon.
Time Management skills
Let’s face it. Recruiters want to know that you have what it takes to manage your time when things get tough at work. Ideathons build your Time Management capabilities because you have to find a specific solution to an initially ambiguous problem.
So if you’re looking to move into the consulting space, you could describe your this soft skill as;
“Competed in the 2019 IBM Ideathon where we were given 32 hours to work in a highly diverse, 4 person team to…”
Rapid innovation development skills
Remember the whole point of an Ideathon is to generate potentially disruptive innovations for standard business problems. In other words, to find a new way of solving the same set of problems. Why is this important?
- You could be in the fashion industry, looking to find new ways to source sustainable and reliable fabrics.
- You could be a Social Entrepreneur, looking to optimize your value proposition through the use of commercially available tools.
So if you’re looking to move into the Social Impact Space, you could describe the experience as;
“Competed in the 2019 IBM Ideathon where we were given 32 hours to work in a highly diverse, 4 person team to develop an effective Machine Learning, Cloud hosted solution that increases the supply of clean water to drought prone communities by….”
Professional networking skills
Networking is critical for anyone looking to make a difference in the lives of others, or your own. Ideathons are a great way to develop long term relationships with industry and fellow professionals that are aligned with the same goals as you. Ofcoarse, there are many other ways to do this, but such events accelerate this process because;
- You’re part of a team, so you have to work with each other to produce a result.
- You leverage each others strengths to realize out-of-the-box innovations.
- You connect with each other on LinkedIn, Instagram, or exchange numbers/emails to stay in touch over the long period. There might come a time when you’ll be able to create value for each other again.
And there you have it, 3 soft skills Ideathons give you at no cost. Check out the home page for more details.
Please leave your feedback in the comments section below!